With each passing day, the Libyan scandal not only worsens, it demonstrates in one incident the utter collapse of President Obama’s Middle Eastern policies and anti-terror strategy. Let’s count the failures, lies, and incompetence:
1. The administration abandons our Egyptian allies and even declares victory as Egypt transitions to Muslim Brotherhood rule.
2. The Muslim Brotherhood exports terror as terrorists strike Israel from the Sinai, and “foreign fighters” begin to infiltrate newly liberated Libya from Egypt.
3. Benghazi grows ever more dangerous, our consulate is attacked, and the British ambassador survives assassination attempts.
4. As Libya descends into (greater) chaos, the State Department decreases security.
5. Multiple officials, including security officials, protest the decreased security, express concern for their safety, and request more resources.
6. The State Department denies their requests and instead relies on a local militia of shopkeepers to protect our ambassador — an unpaid militia that receives only a food stipend.
7. On September 11, terrorists launch an “unprecedented” complex attack on our consulate.
8. During the course of that attack, (if current reports are accurate) the United States not only loses track of our own ambassador, we find out that he was taken to the hospital by a local mob.
9. Despite knowing almost immediately that the United States suffered one of the worst terrorist attacks on its diplomats in its history, the administration publicly denies this reality and blames the violence on a YouTube video made months before.
10. Days later, the amateur filmmaker is very publicly detained for questioning and ultimately arrested for a probation violation.
Does that sum things up?
The Libyan scandal is the perfect storm for President Obama’s foreign policy — at one stroke demonstrating the consequences of his failures in Egypt, the continuing capability of the jihadists he’s crowed about defeating, the incompetence of his own administration as it stripped security from Libya, and the corruption and cynicism that compelled officials to lie and spin in the face of obvious truths.
One final note: It’s often said that in Washington, the cover-up is typically worse than the crime. And for a long time, we’ve focused on the cover-up (“what did Obama know, and when did he know it”). In this case, the “crime” of abandoning our public servants in their hour of maximum need is far, far worse than the administration’s ensuing spin and lies.
President Trump just addressed the United Nations General Assembly, and had strong words for the supporters of terror around the world, as well as a call to compassionately aid the displaced victims of ISIS. We’ve told you about the horrific genocide ISIS waged against Christians in the Middle East...
“ Human bombs . . . one was a baby strapped to a girl.” In the West African nation of Nigeria, people have long shuddered at the name Boko Haram – notably the deadliest, cruelest, most despicable, and heinous jihadist terror group in Africa. The governor of the northeastern Nigerian state of Borno,
They asked “the villagers to produce their identification cards and if you were found to be a Christian you would be shot or slaughtered." These recently uttered ominous words of Pastor Henry Divayo – head of the church in the town of Witu, Kenya – describe what has become a widespread and...
Jihadist terror struck Barcelona, Spain today, murdering at least 12 and injuring more than 50 others, as the decimating toll rises. ISIS has now claimed responsibility for this attack through its official news agency Amaq. As Reuters reports : It was not immediately clear how many attackers were...