Defending Christians in Russia Fulfilling the Great Commission
A recently enacted law in Russia restricts Christians’ ability to evangelize.
Our affiliated office in Russia, the Slavic Centre for Law and Justice (SCLJ), is working on the ground to ensure that Christians are protected and are still able to fulfill the Great Commission.
Tomorrow they are producing a webinar (in English) for all Christians, missionaries, and others who care about Christians in Russia in an effort to legally educate and protect Christians.
As the Slavic Centre for Law and Justice explains in their press release:
On July 20, 2016 changes to Russian federal law “on the freedom of conscience and religious institutions” were put into effect, as well as other legislation which established a new manner of carrying out missionary work in the Russian Federation. A number of restrictions on missionary work were introduced and legal liability was put in place for the violation of these new laws.
At the request of Russian religious associations, on July 18 we held an open webinar in our center concerning questions on the practical application of the new conditions for the carrying out of missionary work. More than 3,500 participated in the webinar.
Taking into account that the changes to the law that were introduced established a special procedure for foreign missionaries, which law applies to those living in Russia and those who come into the country temporarily, as well as in answer to the many requests directed at our firm, on August 3, 2016 at 18:00 Moscow time (11:00 Eastern) in the Slavic Center for Law and Justice an open webinar with live English translation will be held for foreign religious organizations and foreign citizens who are living or coming to Russia.
“The new order for the carrying out of missionary work by foreign citizens on the territory of the Russian Federation.”
The webinar will include:
- A review of the changes in Russian legislation concerning the freedom of conscience and the activities of religious institutions.
- How the new law defines “missionary activities.”
- The new criteria that foreign citizens must abide by in order to carry out missionary activities in the Russian Federation.
- The rights and duties of foreign citizens in the implementation of missionary activities in the Russian Federation.
- The liability that foreign citizens have for violating the law concerning missionary activities.
- How to correctly carry out missionary work in Russia without breaking the law and at the same time fulfilling the most important Gospel commandment, which is to “go forth and teach.”
Watch the FREE webinar here (Live English translation will be provided).
Please pray for our brothers and sisters in Christ in Russia and pass along the information about this webinar to your pastor and any others who may know about missionaries in Russia who could find it useful.
We will continue defending Christians around the globe to ensure their rights to share their faith are protected.