Demand Congress Take Action to Defend Green Beret War Hero Sergeant Martland
How can you help the ACLJ stand up for Sergeant First Class (SFC) Charles Martland?
The U.S. Army is threatening to kick out this Green Beret war hero for defending a child from rape. SFC Martland took decisive action to protect a child. Now we must take action to defend him. (You can read more of his story and our involvement here.)
Here’s how you can get involved:
1) Sign our Petition and make your voice heard. Time is of the essence. The result of SFC Martland’s final appeal is imminent. The situation is urgent, and we must hear from you today. We are amplifying your voice with legal letters to the military, President Obama, and Congress.
2) Call your Senators and Representative and make your voice heard. You can use this helpful link to find the telephone numbers for your Members of Congress. As you contact your Members of Congress, consider these talking points which will help you effectively communicate the reason for your call:
- Sergeant First Class (SFC) Charles Martland, a United States Army Green Beret, took action to protect a young boy from extreme sexual abuse at the hands of an Afghan commander.
- As a result of his heroic action, SFC Martland is set to be expelled from the Army. His final appeal is pending, and will be decided this month.
- SFC Martland, a Bronze Star recipient, has an exemplary military record and served with distinction for more than a decade. Those who served with SFC Martland support him and say he should be allowed to continue serving valiantly
- International law, Afghan law, and the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) condemn the sexual abuse of children, and SFC Martland’s actions were in furtherance of those laws and regulations.
- SFC Martland should be commended for his action, not punished. He represents the kind of soldier we need in uniform. Kicking him out of the Army for protecting a child is reprehensible.
- Respectfully express your support for SFC Martland, and request that your Senators and Congressman speak out and take action on SFC Martland’s behalf.
3) Share it on social media. Share the petition. Share that you contacted your Members of Congress. Share these talking points. Spread the word. It is critical that we raise awareness of the gross injustice SFC Martland faces. The time to act is now.